ePORTFOLIO

ED TECH

***
After reading and exploring different providers of ePortfolios, it seems that they all offer similar solutions to build a personal website or blog customized to highlight the users philosophies, objectives, work, etc. Some providers have different templates/skins that could either have a website layout or blog layout. At this point, I personally like the website format for my personal education ePortfolio, as the content can be grouped together as appropriate, instead of a timelined blog layout. Works can be clustered as needed and descriptions can be added in a cohesive manner, allowing for elaboration of the details in the purposes, thinking, and connections between the selected items. An example is the site of one of my favorite artists/illustrators, OLIVER JEFFERS. While his site doesn't include the affordances listed previously, it does show his artwork groupings and cohesive layout that lends itself to a clearer navigation of a portfolio.

Still Life with Logic and a Choice of Beverage : Oliver Jeffers

























I checked out Wikispaces, Foliotek, Carbonmade, Posterous, Wetpaint, Wix, and Jalbum before making my decision, and am hoping I made the right one. :) I've chosen to use Weebly for my ePortfolio as it's very user friendly, has lots of design options that can be easily tweaked, has an education specific sitebuilder for my future classroom, and it's free!

In this preliminary stage, I would have my future art students use this same website layout for their eportfolios as well, for the same reasons listed above (see also KATE BINGAMAN-BURT'S SITE). Because there are so many different formats available online, I do think student exploration would be beneficial, as some may find one platform easier to conceptualize themselves in than others.

If the student's portfolio was specifically for art (and not for their entire school career), their portfolios will be predominantly visuals of their artwork, and so I do also like aspects of Tumbler (see
KATE BINGAMAN-BURT'S Tumbler site) for an artist eportfolio or blog. I think that it could be another option for an art student as it showcases images, but may be more of a challenge to incorporate specifics of their process and exploration. It would depend on the student's personal mental organization and what makes sense for them. One of the pros to using Tumbler could be the benefit of multiple images clustered together on one page, and this grouping along with the artist's personal insights reflecting on each piece and the whole of the works, could be an intriguing way to view all aspects of their art.

Personally, I will be making significant adjustments and updates to my eportfolio as I've only had a whole 3 weeks taking education classes! But I'm glad to get the process started so I can have a place to compile, document, contemplate, and build as I go.

Here's the link to see my site in progress: SHE AND ART EPORTFOLIO



Posted in , , , . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Leave a Reply

copyright claire sneau. Powered by Blogger.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.